1 Palmer Ranch
Palmer Ranch is one of Sarasota’s largest master-planned communities, spreading out over 10,500 acres (60 square miles) and offering a wide variety of options to homeowners (20,000+ residents). These residents enjoy its wide, tree-lined streets, with communities carefully camouflaged behind lush landscaping to preserve the natural effect. The sidewalks, which meander through the majority of Palmer Ranch, are often dotted with joggers, bicyclists and rollerbladers. Bike paths provide transit around the area on nearly every road. The “rails-to-trails” program has resulted in the Legacy Trail, a nature walk and bike path leading right through the natural habitat of nesting bald eagle families. Palmer Ranch also claims as its “mascots” a growing clan of sand hill cranes, who are often seen stopping traffic as they parade slowly across the street.
Many cite the still-present pastures and cows as a throwback to a different time in Florida and remind us of our “ranch” background. Palmer Ranch shares with Osprey a connection with beautiful Oscar Scherer State Park, a nature preserve that is home to a myriad of species of native plants and animals. Bertha Palmer bequeathed the land for Palmer Ranch and the Oscar Scherer State Park upon her death in 1918.
Palmer Ranch also boasts the amazing Potter Park YMCA and aquatic center, home to the Sarasota Sharks Swim team. The YMCA has fitness/gym memberships, basketball, swimming, a newly expanded water park for the kids (free with membership), tennis, walking trails, and a rock climbing wall. The YMCA offers kids sports programs, teen activities as well as adult teams and classes. Membership in the YMCA allows you access to all 3 Sarasota area complexes.
Palmer Ranch is located only 10 minutes from the south causeway to Siesta Key, making it a quick trip to the beach. Over the causeway you will find Crescent Beach directly in front of you, Turtle Beach to your south and world-famous Siesta Key Public Beach to your north. The Siesta Concession Stand had a major upgrade in 2016 with lots of parking added.
Palmer Ranch is home to some of Sarasota’s more beautiful subdivisions, top-rated golf courses and is attracting many young families due to its quiet neighborhoods and top-rated school system. Ashton Elementary, Sarasota Middle School and Riverview High School are all top-performing schools, with the awards and accreditations in place to ensure a great education. The school district is not the only thing that Palmer Ranch has to offer. The community is located within a short distance to the local beaches, restaurants and shopping, and is only minutes to the freeway, a fact disguised by the tranquility of the community.
The existing Palmer Ranch developments consist of:
- Apartment developments in two separate communities - Citation Club and Saratoga Place.
- Three assisted care/retirement facilities, Brookdale Palmer Ranch, Brookdale Deer Creek, Heron Club and the renowned Glenridge Life Fulfilling Community.
- Condominiums/townhouses are found in 8 condo/townhouse communities and some condo units can also be found in a few of the mixed development neighborhoods such as Stoneybrook and Prestancia.
- Single family homes and maintenance-free villas are found throughout the 17 remaining communities.
- Several new subdivisions currently under construction, offering villas and single family homes. All will have a very active community center with a full-time activities director.